Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What I Know

As I was reading and listening to Conference talks tonight, I was especially impressed with M. Russell Ballard's talk on member missionary work. I've heard talks about this topic for years, and I have usually brushed them by. But this one I actually chose to listen to, and it stuck with me.
I have always had the idea in my head that member missionary work consisted of meeting a new neighbor and being nice to them with the end goal of getting them to become members of the Church. Isn't that the point? But while listening to Elder Ballard's talk, I had the impression: they don't need to join. They just need to understand that Mormons are good people, and they need to feel your love for them. They will come to a better understanding in their own time. Ironically, right after I had this revelation, the next part of Elder Ballard's talk stated:
"Just be positive, and those whom you speak with will feel your love. They will never forget that feeling, though the timing may not be right for them to embrace the gospel. That too may change in the future when their circumstances change."
How much sense that made! Just be friendly! Suddenly member missionary work isn't near as daunting as it once seemed.
Lately I have been feeling like I've needed to do more as a member of the Church. With the way my life is right now it's hard to find time to talk to people at all, let alone try and serve others. I have always had this fear of sharing what I believe online or on social media, worried that I'd lose friends and that I didn't want to offend anyone. But I've decided that I need to let go of that fear, and to start, I'm going to share my testimony here on my blog.

I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church on the earth today. I know, not because I've been raised a member my whole life, or because of the culture I've been surrounded by because of where I live, but because I have asked, pondered, and prayed to know for myself what is true. I have received my own answers to prayers, and cannot deny what I have felt.
I know that God is real, and that we are each His children. I am His daughter, and he reminds me daily of how much He loves me. He sent us all here to let us choose for ourselves what kind of eternity we want. But He didn't leave us here without help. He literally has given us every tool needed to make it back to Him and to have eternal happiness. The best part? We will mess up. We aren't perfect. And it doesn't matter. We can be forgiven for every mistake we have made; we simply have to put in the work. This is what the Atonement is for. The way the Lord can help us rid ourselves of every wrong decision; of every moment where we have experienced sorrow, pain or suffering. I have used this power myself, because in my life I have made many a wrong turn. But through the Atonement I am clean. I am guiltless. And I am happy.
I know that because of the Lord, I am who I am today. He is the reason I am married to the one man I was meant to be with for eternity, because with him I have the ability to experience true joy and happiness.
Knowing what I know does not mean that  my life is easy. In many ways, my life is harder for choosing to follow the gospel. But I know the difference between choosing the things of God and choosing the things of the world, and my life becomes significantly better when I choose what I know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment