Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Keep Going



If anyone hasn’t read down far enough to hear about Gentry’s and my current situation, I’ll sum it up quickly for you. Gentry got a teaching job up in Midvale, Utah as a history teacher and head wrestling coach at Hillcrest High School. I have one year of the athletic training program left at SUU, so I am in Cedar. We currently see each other on the weekends.
To say our circumstance is difficult right now is an understatement. Imagine finding the best thing that’s ever happened to you, and then after only a year of being together, you find out you have to live apart and only get two or three days at most to see them. I realize that many wives go through this when their husbands join the Armed Forces, but as one of my good friends put it: “Rachel, you didn’t sign up for that.”
I’d be lying if I said this was easy. I have good days and bad days dealing with it, and then I have hard days. But I’ve been so grateful to the friends and family who have bent over backwards to help us make this as easy as possible.
I’m also especially grateful for the Lord and all that He’s done for us. He truly is aware of us, and we have definitely been relying on him a lot lately.
I recently read an interesting blog post. For those of you who haven’t heard of “The Tattooed Mormon” you should definitely check her out. Her name is Al Fox/Carraway, and she’s a public speaker and blogger.  I started reading her blog a couple months ago, and she had one story that I really needed to hear the other night. She talked about when she moved from her home in New York all the way to Utah, simply because the Lord told her to. Her family didn’t understand, she didn’t understand why she was leaving, and she said she cried almost the entire first part of her drive west. That night she stopped at a hotel and was praying to Heavenly Father, asking why she had to do this, why her, why now. Did He even care about her anymore? Was He even there? Her answer came after she stopped crying and yelling, and finally listened. Heavenly Father simply told her that He had a plan for her, and that she needed to keep going. That was it. Keep going. And so she did. She left the hotel right then, got back in her car, and drove over 22 hours straight, all the way to Utah, never stopping once.
I’d read this particular post of hers before, but this time, it was an answer to my prayers. Keep going. That’s my new motto through all this. Keep going. I may struggle the whole way, and have trouble trying to see what we’re going to gain from this year, but for now, I have what I need to move forward, and not stop. To just keep going. And guaranteed, if I stop, I know I’ll most likely curl up in a ball and cry and just wait until it’s all over. But the Lord has a plan for us, and while I don’t know what that is, I’ll keep going. And I’ll keep counting down the weeks until I graduate from SUU and get to move up north with Gentry. To never be apart again.

No comments:

Post a Comment