Monday, March 26, 2012

The Proposal

You know, you hear all those stories about how different people propose, and some are cute, but others seem so elaborate and have so much effort and stress put in. I absolutely love how Gentry proposed to me, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
We had decided a while back that we were going to get married, he had gone and picked out my ring and we'd even ordered his. We'd been told that they were coming in the same day, so I wasn't too worried about getting proposed to. I knew it would happen eventually, especially since we wanted to get our engagements pictures done by the end of March. The week after Spring Break as we were trying to make plans, I knew Gentry had been getting a hard time from his brothers and other people because he hadn't proposed yet. (It probably didn't help that he knew my parents were already telling people we were engaged, even though I didn't have my ring yet.) He must've been worried about it, because he apologized to me that he hadn't done it yet, but it was because the ring hadn't come in. Like I said, I wasn't too worried about it, and so we went on with the week with nothing else said.
Last Tuesday, March 20th, I decided I needed to nail down a date with the photographer so we could plan a day to do pictures. We said that next Saturday, the 24th, also my birthday, was a perfect day. I text Gentry and asked if that worked for him, which he responded that it was fine for him. So I knew the proposal was coming that week at some point, which was good enough for me!
Later that night, Gentry text me and asked when I was going to be done with class. Tuesdays are my long days, so I told him I'd be done at 8:30 when my lab was done. He mentioned that we had wanted to get all our engagement outfits together so we could look and make sure the colors worked and had them all in the same place, and asked if we could do it that night after I got out of class. I said sure, and he came over to my apartment after class with his stuff. We were also going to be doing our bridals that same day as our engagements, so he brought over his old high school choir tux that he was going to wear. He said: "I haven't worn this since high school, let me try it on and see how well it fits." So he changed and came back with the pants and coat on over his T-shirt. Then, being a dork, he put on his baseball hat too! We laughed and I pulled out one of the ties he'd brought and had him put it on too, just being silly and thinking nothing of it. Still on this tangent, he pulled on his white "grandpa" shoes for engagements. Even with all that crazy mix of clothes on, he still looked super spiffy, and for one second I turned around to put away something. I turned back around to see Gentry on one knee, with a ring box open in his hand. I just keep staring at him, and he said: "I think you should wear this for bridals."
I, of course, starting squealing: "Oh my gosh, are you serious?!?" over and over again. The only way he got me to be quiet was to say those magic words: "Rachel, will you marry me?" I would've loved to have said, "Oh, I'll think about it," but in the moment I was so excited and so happy I couldn't get any other words out of my mouth other than: "YES!"





Being engaged is wonderful, I absolutely love my ring, it feels weird to not have it on my finger anymore. So yes, Gentry proposed in a tux and I said yes. So now we're "officially" engaged, and so excited to be married on June 29th in the Manti Utah Temple!


No comments:

Post a Comment