Monday, March 26, 2012

How we met...

People always have the cutest stories about how they met, so I felt like it was only fair that I share ours.
The Sunday before finals week back in December, my ward Relief Society president announced that she was going to be moving to Salt Lake, so her roommates threw her a going away party and invited everyone. I went with a few girls from the apartment next to me, and the party became a fun evening of talent sharing and telling what we all loved about Emily.
Lots of people from the ward showed up, as well as lots of people I didn't know. One of these was a pretty cute guy that introduced himself as Gentry. He and I talked for a minute and went on with things, I personally thinking nothing of it. (However, I will admit that every time he walked in and out of a room, I always caught myself thinking how cute that guy was.)
Unbeknownst to me, Gentry had been texting Emily's roommate, Laren, and told her that he thought I was cute. She is known for her matchmaking, so of course she responds to his text asking if he was going to do anything about it that night. He said no, and she resolved that something would
By this time, many people had left the party, and I was talking with a few people, when all of the sudden, Laren calls from across the room: "I need to talk to Rachel right now!" Literally dragging me from the circle of people I was talking to, she pulls me aside and asks: "Who is taking you home tonight?" Me, being completely confused, told her I was going home with the girls from my apartment complex. Laren gave me a look that only Laren can give, and said: "You need to ask Gentry for a ride home."  I was still completely confused, didn't agree right away, but finally said alright, I'd ask. So I did, and while he probably thought I was such a creep for asking, he graciously gave me a ride home.
Even on that ride home, I was impressed. One, he had an awesome truck, which I happen to have a thing for. Two, he opened my door so I could get in, another total surprise to me. Then after he drove me home, we sat outside in his truck for a bit talking. He, as I had expected, asked me for my number, which I gave, with the preface that it wasn't working so he wouldn't be able to get a hold of me for a couple days (I ended up switching phone companies the next day, so it was NOT--no matter how much he denies it--a fake phone number to try and get rid of him!). Well, he decided he wanted to ask me out before we left for Christmas break, so he found and added me on Facebook, and then asked me out to dinner over a message. (He still hates how classless it was, but I forgave him because of the phone troubles.)
So that next Wednesday he picked me up after work and we ate at Winger's and afterwards came back to my apartment and played poker and card games. :) A simple first date, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. We talked so much that night and I learned so much about him, it was definitely a night I won't forget.

And so folks, yes indeed, we are the product of a divinely inspired set-up, and every day I am grateful for that set-up, because it means I get to spend the rest of eternity with this handsome man!



No comments:

Post a Comment